[CBQ] Re: yards at galva il

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: yards at galva il
From: richard haave <therrboomer@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2007 13:21:04 -0800 (PST)
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Old maps of Galva very interesting!

  On the 1923 map it looks like another rail line on S.E. First street ending
in a wye south of the downtown area. Was this an interurban?

  The map dated 1975 showing the Rock Island as gone has the wrong date. In
1975 and 1976 I was firing the first crew on the Silvis-LaFayette mine switcher
which went thru Galva to just northwest of LaFayette and then went on Midland
Electric Coal Co's (Mecco) trackage to Victoria (IL) mine. One of our jobs was
to deliver 120 cars (in 30 car sets) per week to BN at Galva. We'd pull thru
town toward northwest and then show back around north side of depot and out
into a track north of both main tracks east of town. Coal was destined to Iowa
Southern Utilities at Burlington.

  The rest of coal loaded at Victoria mine went to Iowa City, where the Crandic
took it to Cedar Rapids.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/4It09A/fOaOAA/yQLSAA/8ZCslB/TM