[CBQ] Re: Chicago Union Station

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Chicago Union Station
From: clipperw@EarthLink.net
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2006 19:27:17 -0600
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
John,

One of the things you said you were looking for in one of the earlier
posts in this thread was a drawing of Clyde (Cicero, Hawthorne) yard.
I knew I had seen one and just came across it. If you have a copy of
Michael Spoor's Chicago Burlington and Quincy in Color Volume No. 1,
there is a map or drawing of the yard prior to it's rebuild as a hump
yard on page #17. It is small, but readable. As you will note and
probably recall, it is a large facility. Hope this helps in your re-
creation.

On page #16, there is a less detailed map of the trackage and major
railroad facilities between Union Station and Clyde Yard. Not shown
or identified there are the separate suburban and passenger engine
facilities at Western Ave. Suburban steam power went to the Western
Ave. facilities to be serviced between runs. I believe some or all
passenger steam power was also serviced there. With the advent of the
Zephyrs and diesels, the "Zephyr Pit" at the 14th Street coach yard
was developed and all passenger diesels were serviced there between
runs. The Zephyr Pit disappeared about 15 years ago and was replaced
by a much larger and far more modern Metra locomotive and car facility.

Bill Barber