Re: [CBQ] Re: New Q steam

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Re: New Q steam
From: Bob Webber <no17@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2006 13:49:53 -0600
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Close may not be enough - which is why I mentioned getting the other
HS involved.  Even if you were to do a 2-8-2 for the Q - and wanted
to branch out for the Grand Canyon RR, there would be enough changes
to some parts that it may not be worth it, though they are or were
the same locomotive.  However, if the other HS or entity were
actively involved and it was a good prototype for both roads, then it
becomes more possible.  The Grand Canyon model can also be used apart
from the "normal" hobbyist market.  Not to an extent that it will
sell the project, but it can help.  Look how many Bachmann Great
Doems have been sold to the non-hobbyist.  Obviously, this is a bit
(!) more expensive, but packaged right - like say with some of the
BLI's CZ cars (and another good reason to bring some in with out
train name boards (I know, not inexpensive)) and you just MIGHT have
another audience. A small one, but it all adds up.

It's like narrow gauge as well - doing a 537 could open up all sorts
of things - but the market for a D&RGW C-21 is typically much more
viable than that of the C&S leased Q 537.  However, that too was more
or less a catalog locomotive, and a little research could show
possibilities.  At the same time, realize that the D&RGW C-16 (and to
a lesser extent, C-19) are also catalog engines, and virtual copies
(and re-sold locomotives) were scattered all over the West.  Yet when
C-16's are done, there aren't many NCP's, NCRR's, or similar run -
for good reason.  Sometimes when you really want something specific,
you have to branch out and get enough of a ground swell to be able to
say to a manufacturer that something might be a good idea.

There are some locomotives out there that were dogs to begin with and
some that were never dogs, but there just isn't any to find.  The
Rutland 2-8-2 and the Soo locomotives are prime examples.  They
command ridiculous prices compared to a Santa Fe or PRR
locomotive.  Some of the Q locomotives fit in this pattern too, so
that could also be used by the project manager as a prod.  It won't
nail the deal, but you have to provide as many positives as
possible.  Do some fundamental research and polling.  Prove there is
a market.   Gather co-sponsors.  It's not unlike the business most
people are associated with in the day to day world.

Bob Webber