Re: [CBQ] Garden Railways?

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Garden Railways?
From: Llarryo1@aol.com
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2004 10:15:26 EDT
Jan and all,
I've been a member of this group for almost two years and have really
enjoyed the information that has been shared by all the knowledgeable  people.
Finally,  a subject that I know a little about!!

I model in both "N" (inside) and "G" (outside).

I've seen garden railways in many different scales, but G seems to work the
best. It is designed with harmful UV rays in mind. Also, the bigger size
covers more area quicker and matches natural landscape more easily.

"G" railroading is tricky because although most manufacturers use # 1 gauge
track (45 mm), many different scales are used: 1:20.3, 1:22.5, 1:24, 1:29,
1:32 are the most popular.

Another difficulty is that many manufacturers don't make their couplers to
be compatible with others. One will use horn/hook while another uses  knuckle.
One knuckle doesn't always match someone else's.

The best magazine that I know is Garden RAILWAYS. It is a bimonthly. The
December issue should be on the stands in a few weeks. Their website is
_www.gardenrailways.com_ (http://www.gardenrailways.com)

A National Garden Railway Convention is held annually and moves to a
different host city every year.  The 2005 convention will be held in  the
Chicago
area from July 26-31, in St. Charles, IL.,  at the Pheasant Run  Resort & Spa.

I run 1:29 scale made mostly by USA Trains, Aristo-Craft, or Bachmann. I
have a "blackbird" NW2, a "redbird" GP7, and for passenger service a little
2-6-0 with combine known as the "Hooterville Cannonball."

Contact me off list at _LLarryo1@aol.com_ (mailto:LLarryo1@aol.com)  if I can
be of further  help.

Keeping the Burlington Route alive,
Larry Owen