Re: [BRHSlist] Fw: [n_scale] Dispatcher Phone recordings

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Fw: [n_scale] Dispatcher Phone recordings
From: "Russell Strodtz" <vlbg@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 13:43:19 -0500
John,

Correct about the "NS". Somewhere in the CB&Q to BN transition
it got changed to "ND". Probably for compatibility with the NP or
GN rules.

These days BNSF/KCS/UP have periodic conferences about rules
compatibility. One of the reasons a UP or KCS unit can not be DPed
with a BNSF is a rules issue. KCS had a choice when they bought
their newest units and picked the UP version.  The issue is how the
remotes handle an undesired emergency application. On one side is
a shut down that means you have to go back to reset the units. The
other idea allows for a remote PCS, (Pneumatic Control Switch),
reset.

I honestly don't know which chose one or the other.

Cochrane had an old IBM electric from the pre "revolving ball" days.
The lower case letters had been filed off each key.

The underlining still applies, but only if you issue a track bulletin over
the radio.  The track warrant system gives you three choices at each
space on the form that was transmitted. You use the arrow keys to
match what you hear. I have been in the habit for years that when the
list drops down and the correct repeat is highlighted I move to a wrong
answer until the Conductor/Engineer actually says the correct one.
While that is not required it does keep you attentive to what is
actually being said. That system is also why the "super fast" repeaters
need to be slowed down. You get behind in picking responses and
then you are just guessing what he said.

Even if you have to do it over again a couple of times there is no ego
thing here at either end. If it's wrong you are both in trouble and in
danger.  Lots of people try to work way too fast.

Russ