[BRHSlist] Fw: [n_scale] Dispatcher Phone recordings

To: gngoat@yahoogroups.com,BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [BRHSlist] Fw: [n_scale] Dispatcher Phone recordings
From: okt@juno.com
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2003 15:49:38 -0500
From: <gnkid@icehouse.net>
Hi all,

For those who are too young to have heard how railroad communications
used to
take place and are only familiar with today's radio chatter, the
following might
be a good history lesson.

In the summers of 1969 and 1970 when I was a kid, I taped many hours
from the Dispatcher Phone on the former Great Northern Cascade Division
(Stevens
Pass); i.e., just before and just after the BN merger.  I have now
converted the
recordings to a set of four audio CD's, which with time-compression boils
down
to about 4.3 hours.  These have been digitally cleaned up so that they
sound
much better than the original recordings.

There are numerous entertaining segments throughout, as well as examples
of the
Seattle dispatcher issuing train orders and having them read back by the
operators.  The conversational style of railroad communications on the
Dispatcher Phone was much different from what one hears on the radio
today.

For more info and a 1-minute audio sample, send a note to me:
gnkid@icehouse.net

Tom Garrett
Spokane, WA

Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!