Re: [BRHSlist] Question for the (mature) railroaders... :)

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Question for the (mature) railroaders... :)
From: "Russell Strodtz" <vlbg@e...>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 08:04:02 -0600
One night I had the normal delivery from Gibson, (which is in
Hammond IN), at Congress Park with around 90 to 110 cars.
At this time they yarded trains with air as they did not have radios.
This would normally be a steady shove at a fast walk. Track #1
first and as I'm checking cars I notice that the slack is running in
and out. Ask the Conductor what's going on and he say, "We came
all the way from Gibson with him, (Engineer), doing that". Since
the IHB cabooses did not have any kind of cushioned draft gear
that must have been a miserable trip. Seems that the Engineer
had some sort of past dispute with this crew and that day was
payback time. It would be bad enough doing it just going down
the road but he continued all the time they were filling tracks using
the air. That's just plain unsafe, like you're trying to kill somebody.

The next night everything was fine and I found out that the guy had
marked up on a different job and that was his farewell "get even".

Russ