Re: [BRHSlist] Question for the (mature) railroaders... :)

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Question for the (mature) railroaders... :)
From: Don Ross <don0731@g...>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 18:17:05 -0600
There were a couple of factors which caused the separation. The conductor was the boss of the train, but the engineer was the one who was physically in charge. Enginemen belonged to the Brotherhood of Locomotive Firemen and Enginemen while trainmen belonged to the Brotherhood of Railroad Trainmen. Conductors also had their own Order of Railroad Conductors which was later changed to Order of Railroad Conductors and Brakemen. These consolidated as the United Transportation Union. In addition, the engineers had the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers. This union did not consolidate, but expanded to include train dispatchers. Yardmen belonged to the Switchmen's Union of North America (the snakes) which also went into the UTU. There was also the Order of Railroad Telegraphers and also the Brotherhood of Railroad Clerks. I belonged to both at various times.