Iron ore trains on the CB&Q

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Iron ore trains on the CB&Q
From: "Tim VanMersbergen" <killercarp@y...>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 03:23:50 -0000
Greetings group,
I am looking for information on the ore trains that ran to Granite
City from Minnesota off the GN in the 1968-1970 period. I'm looking
at possibly modeling this movement in the area between East Dubuque
and Savanna, IL.

How often did they run, what was the typical tonnage, and what was
the usual power for these moves?

Did the empties return as a solid train, or on regular trains, and if
a solid train of empties, what was typical power for those?

Was it raw ore, or taconite in this time period?

Finally, given the wide experiences in this group, would anybody have
any anecdotes about running these trains in any era? These kind of
first-person stories are one of the best parts of this group and a
fantastic source of information.
Thanks,
Tim VanMersbergen