Re: [BRHSlist] Re: Iron ore trains on the CB&Q

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Re: Iron ore trains on the CB&Q
From: "Bob Weber" <eng95@a...>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 21:04:18 -0800
I worked as a relief operator at Concord, Il a lot in the 1950's and
remember handling some ore trains southbound out of Beardstown, Il. As I
remember, the ore was always contained in rust colored ore cars that were
smaller than a coal hopper. The loaded cars were very heavy and an ore
train had to be split up into 2 or 3 sections to get up the Arenzville, Il
hill. Seems like that hill was a 1.5% to 2%, if that's possible. I believe
they used to keep a pusher engine down by Arenzville to help trains up that
hill but that was before my time. John Mitchell can probably comment much
more accurately on this than I.

Bob Weber

From: "Doug Harding" <dharding@c...>
Subject: [BRHSlist] Re: Iron ore trains on the CB&Q