Grain Traffic

To: brhslist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Grain Traffic
From: qutlx1@a...
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 22:48:35 EDT
Can anyone shed any light on where all that grain that used to move in 40 ft
box cars actually went? I'm referring to the days when every elevator on
every branch would ship cars to various "grain inspection trks" at the larger
terminals. At Cicero/Clyde I understand the grain inspection trk was in 'D'
yard.I believe it was D-4(but I could be wrong about the specific trk.Cars
would be billed from all the local elevators to this trk but I don't know
what happened next.I assume the Cargills,Continentals,CPC,Clinton
Corn,American Maize,etc came in and bought the loads but then where did they
go?
Of course since the late 50's,early 60's the grain goes directly into an 18
wheeler in the field and goes to the "river terminal" direct. I can speak
from first hand "research" of Q documents that it was this shift in the
business that killed many of the branch lines.
Leo