Grain Traffic

To: brhslist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Grain Traffic
From: qutlx1@a...
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2001 22:35:32 EDT
Thanks to all for the responses to my inquiry.

Steve Holding I was referring primarily to corn as that was the major grain
product moved on the old Chgo and Aurora Div from local elevators. While much
corn was indeed fed on the farm to the feeders;the advent of hybrids
generated, up until then unheard of yields/acre.Then as soybeans became more
common they started to make a contribution.I only recall a rare car of oats
or wheat.
One of my earliest memories is the combine on Grandpas farm unloading
directly into the 18 wheeler in the field.I asked Grandpa where the grain was
going and he said to the river terminal. That struck me as ironic since
grandpa had only recently retired from 43 years on the rails! This was about
1957/58 or so.
I do remember the occasional car of grain doors going back to an elevator(but
Ed as I recall they were just another 40 footer).

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is what happens to grain when it gets
wet,either in a car or on the ground. The smell is really hard to
describe.Ever wonder why some boxcars have huge buckles in their roofs? Wet
grain.

As to grain scavengers I think Bob Harding was king on the Aurora Div as he
had lots of chickens to feed. He carried 5 gallon pails to haul his loot.

Ed, as I recall one of the most common car caused loses was leaks thru the
walls from gouges.The cuts were sometimes from cornerings and/or sideswipes
but also many were from fork lifts or bucket loaders used to close the doors
at the elevators.
The waycars had piles of rags that were stuffed into the holes by
trainman(some did and some didn't). These cars would leave a trail all thru
the yards as they were switched and of course the birds were always well fed.
Leo
P.S.-Steve C. thanks for waybill info.