Re: [CBQ] Mars Light on CBQ, CS and FWD SD9's

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Mars Light on CBQ, CS and FWD SD9's
From: "William Barber" <clipperw@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2020 12:41:54 -0600
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
Dave,

The photo was taken on August 20, 1961. It was a “grab shot” that I took while I was waiting to photograph 4960 returning from an Illini RR Club trip to Rockford. It is the only photo of the train that I took and was likely the only time that I saw the train with a GP7 leading. As for the cars, I did not record any information, but they appear to be a pair of 6100 series heavyweights although it is possible that one could be a 4500 series car. I am sure that, at that time,  the crews at the 14th Street coach yard used whatever was available and not needed for a more important assignment.

Bill Barber
Gravois Mills, MO

Bill,

Any additional information as to the date of your photo of GP7 #243 at Downer Grove? Any additional photos of that train?  Any information you may have in your notes about the heavyweight equipment featured on this train?

Around 1960-1961 I worked in a small machine shop in Cicero (John Gillen) and had a window to the CB&Q on the east end of the hump yard that was right along the passenger main lines.  Had a great daily view of the Zephyrs and Empire Builder trains but probably never realized that there was a Galesburg Local  probably thinking I was seeing a commuter train.  During my college years (1963-1967) I got to ride the Morning and Afternoon Zephyrs with their mix of Builder and NCL equipment.  Never wanted to leave my dome car seat between East Dubuque and Union Station.

Thanks,  Dave Sarther
_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#60994) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic

_._,_._,_