Re: [CBQ] Mars Light on CBQ, CS and FWD SD9's

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Mars Light on CBQ, CS and FWD SD9's
From: "William Barber" <clipperw@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2020 11:28:11 -0600
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
Steve,

I don’t know if the C&S / FW&D used the same operating rules as the Q, but in normal service, the white Mars light was on all the time during night operations. The Mars lights generally traced a figure eight pattern. The fixed headlight was also on at the same time. In photographs, if the Mars light is is not pointed at the camera in its cycle, it often appears to be off. The pattern of the light was a very wide sweep and could be seen from great distances, long before the train was visible. The on and off control of the white Mars light was strictly manual from the engineer’s position, similar to the main headlight. The engineer did have the ability to stop the Mars light in its sweep pattern so that it was a fixed beam. There was an “inch” function that could be used to position the light in any particular direction. Some crews reported a hypnotic effect caused by the Mars light sweep pattern. Occasionally, a Mars light could be on during daylight hours because someone forgot to turn it off. This was probably more common after daylight headlights were required. Because of their complicated mechanical gear drive systems, Mars lights required considerable maintenance.

The red Mars light was automatically actuated by an emergency brake application. I believe that there was also a manual control for the red Mars light.

Bill Barber
Gravois Mills, MO

Mars Light on CBQ, CS and FWD SD9's
From: fuchst900
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2020 07:20:54 PST

This is in regard to pictures on pages 22 and 23 of Bulletin 47 showing CS and FWD SD7 in passenger service with the upper (White) light on the signal light lit.  My question is how these were handled on the Burlington?  I  know the some railroads, like the DRGW used signal light as an additional headlight and the oscillation worked in conjunction with horn for crossings.  Since these are the only pictures I have seen, were these lights on constantly while on passenger assignments or is this coincidence the cameraman happened to snap the picture at a rail crossing when the signal light was flashing?  I have been under the impression that these lights were only in use at crossings and consequentially set DCC lighting to gyrate only when the crossing horn is pushed?  Amazing the items that were never discussed before the wonders of DCC?  Steve near Walla Walla

_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#60983) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic

_._,_._,_