[CBQ] CB&Q La Grange, ILL 1940's

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: [CBQ] CB&Q La Grange, ILL 1940's
From: "Tom Hammer" <hammermann1911@outlook.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2020 12:08:34 -0700
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
I was raised in LaGrange but I am forgetting things.
I am wanting to know. how the switches were and sidings across Hillgrove Ave. to Lord Lumber and the National Guard Armory.
I think these tracks had to cross over each other in the middle of Hillgrove, Ave.
Also there was a Team track in that cluster where a guy had set out 2 boxcars of Christmas Trees and  sold them all at $4.00 each.
Another thing. There was a Switch Tower on the south side a block west of Manheim Rd.  What did it do?
I remember we had a Crossing Guard on the SE corner at Manheim Rd. That hand cranked the gates down. He had a little shack with a coal stove.
I guess this went on 24-7 till the auto gates replaced him.
And while I'm at it, does anyone remember the Street Car. End Of Line at Stone Ave Station.
Depending where you wanted to go in Chicago you took  the Street Car or the CB&Q
When we rounded the curve into Union Station, I wanted to see the Steam Locomotive pulling the train
so I would open the window and stick my head out the window and the Passengers would start yelling at me to close that window.
I was letting in lots of Smoke cinders and whatever else we were kicking up...
After they replaced the Street Car with the buss my mom took the Q into Chicago and the elevated after that. The bus really sucked.
I think the Street Car got us Down Town in 30 minutes. So much for my Ramblings..  Tom Hammer  LTHS 1959
_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#60155) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic