Re: [CBQ] CB&Q La Grange, ILL 1940's

To: <CBQ@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] CB&Q La Grange, ILL 1940's
From: "Charlie Vlk" <cvlk@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2020 13:54:09 -0500
Sender: CBQ@groups.io

Tom-

I looked at the Sanborn Maps that I’ve downloaded but, since they are not designed to document railroad properties directly since the railroads were self-insured, the maps that cover the area between Stone Avenue and La Grange Road have an inset directly over part of the sidings.   It does show the crossover in the middle of Hill Grove Avenue at Spring Street.  The 1891 Sanborn map  shows a double ended siding beginning north of the Stone Avenue Depot extending past the freight depot at Waiole  with another switch east of it which served Lord Lumber and stub ended at Ashland.  The double ended siding rejoined the main east of Kensington.  Later maps do not show the siding detail but have the later crossing and track serving Vail Lumber coming directly off the main.   A CB&Q track diagram suggests that the double ended track was single ended from the west and cut back to Waiole in front of the freight station after the lumber sidings were removed.

I have attached a pdf of the 1981 Sanborn Map and laid in the track serving Vail Lumber with the crossing in the middle of Hill Grove Avenue.

Charlie Vlk

_._,_._,_

_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#60165) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic