Re: [CBQ] boiler explosion record Jan 1911 WY?

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: Re: [CBQ] boiler explosion record Jan 1911 WY?
From: "Winton" <runextra@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2019 10:25:53 -0800
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
West of MP 15 is ~10 miles of 1.25% down grade eastbound. The attached profile
shows the first level and upgrade spot, about 1.5 miles east of Ranchester. It
is likely here where low boiler water would have rushed from the front of the
boiler to the rear. flooding over the dry super hot firebox crown sheet and
flash boiling, exceeding the capacity of the safety valves. This excessively
high steam pressure and and the weakened condition of the crown sheet resulting
in the explosion.
The Ranchester siding was extended eastward by the BN in the late 1970s. The
east switch of the siding when I came here in 1975 was about MP 14.2 and would
have been there or possibly a little farther west at the time of the explosion.
Believe me I am quite familiar with that little hump. Another engineer had a
big derailment there and later I had a train come uncoupled there (no it was
not a broken knuckle or drawbar) then the rear end portion rammed the head end
portion as I was stopping. Had to set out 14 shifted loads, many of which were
loads of lumber that actually bent down the bulkheads or blew out the ends or
roofs of boxcars. But I digress...