Re: Corrected RE: [CBQ] New CB&Q HO Scale SW1200s

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: Re: Corrected RE: [CBQ] New CB&Q HO Scale SW1200s
From: "Chris Atkins" <tcatkins@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2019 10:14:58 -0800
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
Rapido makes their own couplers that are similar to a Kadee in that they are metal and have a coil spring, but won't work on a Kadee uncoupling ramp. They will work with Rapido's own automatic uncoupler.

I have three of these SW1200s on order. I'm sure they will be beautiful models and will run very smoothly. My only fear is that they aren't at all heavy and will not pull well. They are awfully expensive to not be useful.

I have asked several Canadian modelers about their experience with Rapido's SW1200RS, but have never received any solid feedback other than it runs well and all the little detail parts fall off regularly.

The P2K SW1200 I have in service is also not a great puller. My best switch engines are currently BLI SW7s, which have very bad electronics, but will pull over 25 cars of a slight grade I have at one end of my yard. I have started replacing the QSI decoders in these with modern sound units plus a keepalive.

Chris Atkins
Argyle, TX