Re: [CBQ] Empire Builder Location

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Empire Builder Location
From: "Dave Sarther via Groups.Io" <sartherdj=aol.com@groups.io>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2019 20:10:07 +0000 (UTC)
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
At this time (April, 1966, damn that was a long time ago!) I was a junior at Loras College in Dubuque, IA and busy sandbagging along the west side of the US 20 end of the bridge over the Mississippi River.  Classes were cancelled for a few days to enable us to lend a hand in the sandbagging operation.  The major perk for our efforts was a free tetanus shot.  The north east side approach to the bridge from East Dubuque, IL and Wisconsin was above the flood waters while downtown Dubuque and East Dubuque were slowly being engulfed by rising flood water. Lock and Dam #11 just north of Dubuque was wide open and the water was ripping through, over and around the lock and dam.  The CB&Q, CGW and Milw Rd were all sent on alternate routes. That left all the students attending local colleges to find alternate routes back into the Chicago area for Easter break.  Some of my friends rode the "Hound" while I chose to hitch hike south to the Quad Cities and cross the river there to get home to Chicago.

Later,  Dave S.   Tucson, AZ