Re: [CBQ] Question on Rule 501I - Permissive Signal

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Question on Rule 501I - Permissive Signal
From: "Tom Mack via Groups.Io" <thommack=yahoo.com@groups.io>
Date: Fri, 17 May 2019 03:56:17 -0700
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
On Thu, May 16, 2019 at 12:30 PM, Winton wrote:
Huh? The 2 are completely different.
Yes, I knew that they were different signals with different operating, but the rule book did not give the actual speed in MPH for the 501I Permissive signal or explain the details. You actually explained the actual operating practice well, which is what I was looking for - how the engineer actually operated through a 501I vs a 501E signal.

An engineer knowing the territory would know or have a feel for when to start slowing down so as to not overrun a potential Stop signal that he might be approaching after passing a 501E Approach signal. I have read stories of engineers who were so accustomed to passing Approach signals "knowing" that the next signal was "always" Approach or Clear by the time they reached it, when suddenly they were faced with an actual Stop signal, they had a real problem! I had always assumed the Q used Stop and Proceed, so when I saw the 501I Permissive I was interested in the actual operating practice when the train approached/passed the signal since the term Restricted Speed was used but no actual speed limit.

--
Tom Mack
Cincinnati, OH

Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#57310) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic