Re: [CBQ] Burlington Budd boiler equipped baggage cars.

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Burlington Budd boiler equipped baggage cars.
From: "danspachmd@gmail.com [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: 21 Mar 2017 03:57:43 +0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1490068664; bh=2A+5iecmg76FoeyyYT1dRSQhA1cd5BVzwa1xE7tatZ8=; h=To:References:In-Reply-To:From:List-Id:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:From:Subject; b=p7M3RQAdaYP/UtFf7HYMfvN4NoHCz5mkEZXohOdt7NV5VtnPmz6euIk9zgTt2RfmbmJat2BJfrOdL1yt4cuSmaToP5MD47isikukblME1mqbIPbUxOVxytqI2khnOhR9eobdoPYXNgL5Q/fZ4D5ejK9q1G+Nfsg9DLSdR9HJK3Q=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Thank you all for your interesting and quite informative replies.

  As was mentioned, SILVER TREASURE apparently was the only one delivered with a steam generator, which was in use on the SILVER STREAK ZEPHYR 1950-52, which generator was removed sometime afterwards.  The undated CB&Q diagram book floor plan singles out S. TREASURE, and shows only un-noted blank space in the end where the boiler was planned to be. In this regard, I would then presume that the diagram book was published AFTER boiler removal, which would argue for a relatively early '50s removal.

Photos of ARGO and OLYMPUS do not show these tanks.

Photos of ANTELOPE on the Algoma Central show no tanks.

The Shoreham Shops HO model of SILVER ANTELOPE shows well detailed quite visible massive underbody tanks, and the un-named NPP brass CZ baggage cars also shows the same (much less detailed) tank(s). Outwardly these tanks look identical to that quite visible on SILVER TREASURE.  On perusal of photos of these cars gleaned on line, WP 801 SILVER BEAVER also has the same tanks!  Presumably on all these cars, the brake cylinders and air tanks were also in the ceiling!

So, of the eight nominally identical baggage cars, only one, TREASURE definitely had a boiler, and the outward evidence of same, fillers, roof vent, and massive underbody tanks dropping well below the skirting.

Photo evidence show that at least one other car, WP 801BEAVER had the tanks (and fillers).

Model evidence cannot be counted upon, with all Nickel Plate CZ baggage cars having big tanks and fillers, and the Shoreham Shops ANTELOPE showing ditto, with no photo evidence yet backing that up.

Randall's had incomplete information in his CB&Q Budd book  when he stated that ARGO and OLYMPUS had boilers and TREASURE did not.

My study of SILVER TREASURE photos when in service with boiler, and full width diaphragms show that the steam generator stack/vent was round  -like a band or hat box- is distinctive from adjacent Chinese hat Budd vents front and rear, and is  not square or rectangular.

So...what am I doing?   I have a NIB unlettered Oriental/KMT  "CZ SILVER BEAR" which...has the visible fillers...but no tanks. I have lettered it BURLINGTON and TREASURE, am installing a Custom Brass EMD steam generator vent, and fashioning the wall-to-wall  tanks out of either styrene or Strathmore paper that will neatly fit over the rudimentary underbody detail present. I have already changed out the KMT trucks to the correct Shoreham Shops trucks (further enhanced with Reboxx wheel sets).  It already looks quite neat when joined at the hip with its EA mate 9905.

My speculation on why some of these baggage cars had big tanks and no boilers is that they were designed to serve as reservoirs for the boilers in the ubiquitous CZ F units that dominated CZ power. .  That makes some sense, but...why only one or two?

Interesting, even earth shaking!

Denny

Posted by: danspachmd@gmail.com