Re: [CBQ] Endless Rails Of Eternity

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Endless Rails Of Eternity
From: "LZadnichek@aol.com [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2017 14:26:16 -0400
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

March 20, 2017

All - This is OK to open as from me. I accidentally hit the send key. Was saving this link for posting at some later date. Although not Q, I've found very little over the years posted to YouTube on Q steam and diesel power in revenue service. A little on the 5632/4960 fan trips and some on the Pioneer Zephyr, but nothing on steam and early diesel.

I was born (1946) ten years too late for Q steam. Had I been born ten years earlier (1936), then I could've been track side to first hand witness and photograph the transition from steam to diesel during the early 1950s. But, by the time I turned 13 (1959) and had a decent camera, remaining Q steam sat in deadlines at either Galesburg or Lincoln. Of course, had I been born ten years earlier, I'd be 80 today and not 70 and I think I'll stick with being 70 all things being equal.

The only GTW steam I ever saw live were the 0-8-0 switchers at Northwestern Steel & Wire in Sterling, IL, along with the ill-fated 4-6-2 No. 5629 owned by Dick Jensen and used in fan trip service out of Chicago. Thus, I was attracted to this particular video since it vividly portrays the end-of-steam. The cab views just as easily could've been taken on a Q locomotive on either Lines East or West.

From the clarity of the video, it must've been shot in silent 16mm and then dubbed (more or less in sync) from sounds recorded at the time on a tape recorder. In some of the cab views, you can seen someone holding a thin, pencil-like microphone. Also, the camera must've been fitted to a pole that was stuck out of the fireman's side of the cab to record line side views.

Too bad someone with a 16mm motion picture camera and tape recorder wasn't out there on Lines East and West during the early to mid-1950s recording the end of the steam era on the Q. Just think today how great it'd be to see a Class M-4-A 2-10-4 "whooshing" its way north out of Centralia with a coal drag, or doubleheaded Class O-3 2-8-2's powering a grain extra out of Hastings.

Well, perhaps, somewhere on the endless rails of eternity we'll have a chance to see, hear and smell Q steam power (and early Shovelnoses, EAs and FTs) hard at work running-up revenue miles. Best Regards - Louis

Louis Zadnichek II
Fairhope, AL