Re: [CBQ] CB&Q Overnight Heaters

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] CB&Q Overnight Heaters
From: "Jpslhedgpeth@aol.com [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2015 14:04:12 -0400
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1435860259; bh=K1/J0+72YUMPruWeT8ZsL/YVkysiYPDl68sufKjpiHU=; h=To:In-Reply-To:References:From:List-Id:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:From:Subject; b=sryvL9NTzQ+lAp0ORoSciP1TCEi1twvauNyxe2qXXVFp9Mcw+HpvTpBxmT8l32qjoInSEh5jFLXiBuOq6UqKbUCRVFkI5fb1uUVIvhLy9ESM8ALapVWOlbYDfOGHWBFNhfsLsyYT2gdGcd2/+8nazlcgoNrOL2mosbRVIvwBqqI=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Thanks Louis for opening up another avenue for a story.  No. 1.  Yes there was a way to "blow a little steam back through the intake of the injector to the tender".  That provision worked well in cold weather, but it provided potential difficulties in warm weather if the fireman wasn't paying attention to his business.  In warm weather steam going back through the intake of the injector and hence into the tender would cause the water in the tender to warm up and, because of this....and i don't remember enough of my physics and thermodynamics principles to be able to accurately explain this phenomenum......but the warm water could cause the injector to not "pick up" the water to force it into the boiler.

No. 2...at no extra charge.  On oil burning engines there were steam coils in the "bunker" where the fuel oil was held.  I believe the oil was what was known as  "Bunker C" oil..ie it was of a very heavy consistence...almost like Tar and hence needed a bit of warming to allow it to flow up to the atomizer in the firebox.  This was another situation which could be "overdone"...I read a story in an old Railroad Magazine about a situation where the fireman let too much steam get into the pipes in the bunker and the oil actually got so hot that the oil  "boiled over" and was running down the sides of the tender.

No. 3.  On the Rock Port Langdon and Northern we had a single stall enginehouse where both engine could be fit, just barely.  Heat for the house was provided by two coal stoves which, apparently on one occasion didn't do enough.  I have a copy of a telegram which my dad sent to my grandfather who was in Chicago on business with the CB&Q.  The telegram was addressed to Pete Hedgpeth  % O.E. Ward and said that "injector on Engine 440 froze up and broke...didn't notice until engine was steaming"...OK to use Engilne No. 2??.  My GF replied "OK use engine No. 2.    You ask  "Why did he have to ask...what else could have been done"?   Someone who knew my GF would know why...My dad didn't dare make any kind of "independent" decision without his father's OK".  That relationship continued throughout my GF's life and cause a great deal of distress in our family.

Pete