Re: [CBQ] CB&Q Overnight Heaters

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] CB&Q Overnight Heaters
From: "Jpslhedgpeth@aol.com [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 2015 23:05:43 -0400
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1435806346; bh=Yricc45ED0wBABvg3pnl8KfNePq/mt8BeuNlIbH19io=; h=To:In-Reply-To:From:List-Id:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:From:Subject; b=37+sjZ8vKtF715p55fDGfbTZilU4C6oylPyQnYpK1wpoGnVQwehr5BCxXrtjdNSLmc2vtPJGHloMHO5oRZqEABpkEf+Zga7neT9r1RKSZq+FS39b+/h+IhJ2DYg7egRo7LCFWRFNlQ9d5lSTXY9veFJziMIMhnWbfzGvs2jGuyU=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

When I was in the Military..USA Transportation Corps at Ft. Eustis, VA in 1959 I was assigned to TRECOM..Transportation Research and Engineering Command in the Rail Division.  At the time I was there the rail division was completely devoid of funds for ANY PROJECTS so there we were. A Lieutenant Colonel in Charge...about 4 Civilian engineer types..High GS ratings.  An office manager a Male Secretry named Max and 2 Second Lieutenants of which I was one.

I was assigned to one of the "engineer" guys and for lack of anything else to do he assigned me to do a study of  "The Winteriization of the 44 Ton Diesel switching locomotive.  These projects were known as "Staff Studies"...I "fiddled and piddled for 4 months messing around with this thing for lack of anything else to do.  I completed it just before I left active duty in October.

My "supervisor" assured me that my work would be submitted for official publication and that my name would be listed as "Assistant Project Engineer".  Well, sure enough, a year or so after I left I received in an official envelope the finished published work complete with long government number and bound in a yellow binder.  Those of you with military experience will recall what these things looked like.
I still have the document "among my souvenirs"...

The sum total of my efforts was the recommendation that the winterization would consist of the installation of a "Hot Start" heater system on these engines.  That system was...is...akin to what John has described.  The heater just provided a heat source, much like your home water heater and the cooling water in the engine would circulate by its own natural circulation away from the heat source and back through the system..There was no forced circulation unless the engine was running.l  They did not affect the lube oil system by any direct heat, just whatever the warm (er) water would provide to the entire cooling system.

If anybody wants to see my official contribution to the cause, let me know and I'll bring the document to the annual meeting at North Platte this fall.

Pete