RE: [CBQ] Old Locomotives

To: CB&Q Group <cbq@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: RE: [CBQ] Old Locomotives
From: "Hol Wagner holpennywagner@msn.com [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2015 14:33:02 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1421875990; bh=YfvFC50dlI8kDO9DFxH4qKRC3qzaCZbi/kExk185W34=; h=To:In-Reply-To:References:From:List-Id:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:From:Subject; b=OE+/YP66kwt9M+aeMU7rW8IItLSim4D/0XtxbBvvWGJFFgF2nipenaVqSGwzVtgGMZpNdW30kPrkfrgMGhmQbVjOgKPW9hW4DtoZmfBeP2hG7F8TrZprh7SDqYdEZh5wZsgzzu3wVbKLbwFN9UaSHspFjc219QwJM9TzlpnO86A=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Louis:

This is a really nice photo that I've never seen before, and of a member of a seldom photographed class.  But it can't be in 1898, as the locomotive carries its 1904 number, 562.  It was indeed built at the Aurora shops in 1881, one of five identical 0-4-0s turned out by the shop that year as CB&Q 409-413.  This one, the 411, was the only one to remain on the Q roster through the 1898 renumbering, at which time it became the 1411.  And then in 1904 it was renumbered to 562.  One of the others in all likelihood became KCStJ&CB 39, which became Q 563 in 1904.  Like so many of the locomotives retired in the first two decades of the 20th Century, there are no surviving records of their ultimate disposition.

I'll offer a bit more on the E-1s shortly, though I have no specifics on any of them going to Russia, my understanding being that it was primarily B&MR 4-4-0s that were sent to help with construction of the 5-foot gauge Trans-Siberian.  And I know nothing about any E-1s going to the Algoma Central but would love to learn what you know.

Hol