[CBQ] Old Locomotives [1 Attachment]

To: cbq@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Old Locomotives [1 Attachment]
From: "LZadnichek@aol.com [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2015 16:59:31 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

January 20, 2015

Hol and All - Whereas I've already shared my "really old" locomotive images earlier with the Group, here's one that's over a hundred years old from my father's collection (I've both inserted as well as attached for those who have problems with Yahoo):

Shown is CB&Q No. 562, a Class E-1 0-4-0 switch engine, at the West Burlington (IA) Shops in 1898. Posed with 562 are the engine and switch crews. In the background at right is a locomotive boiler on the ground with what appears to be a boilermaker looking into the upended firebox.  562 was constructed at the Aurora (IL) Shops in 1881. There is no record of its retirement and it may be been one of the Class E-1 switchers sold to Czarist Russia for use in constructing the Trans-Siberian Railroad.

Perhaps, Hol can give all of us a tutorial on the E-1 switchers, particularly those that disappeared into Russia. Also, didn't a couple of E-1s end-up on the Algoma Central in Ontario, Canada? Do any other Group members have more old Q locomotive or equipment images to share? Best Regards - Louis

Louis Zadnichek II
Fairhope, AL

View attachments on the web

Posted by: LZadnichek@aol.com