RE: [CBQ] Old Locomotives

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: RE: [CBQ] Old Locomotives
From: "'Charlie Vlk' cvlk@comcast.net [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2015 18:15:53 -0600
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1421885764; bh=x1pWSMjgmwdd/mcwt6oBpsZ/CmjM8q4VsqvJ8BbBAvg=; h=To:References:In-Reply-To:From:List-Id:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:From:Subject; b=Inwhko8KaPp8QKgfzMlctmLCpNcpt9QqEn8ceApLVx4tLMLIYYA3cngsbfOMgWSD/RZ2SaqUAKNljawK0gIduBLsyvxN5VE+Y2h9KEffKLT6ayaf0VkCl5ABBonl0L1L867GanUcKqYqQMqlMmE6CEkmIKB8kqHp7kCXjRm9b4s=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

All-

I am plowing through original Baldwin specifications and some interesting digital builders lists looking for more information on the CB&Q D1 Wooten Firebox “Camelback” D1s and was surprised to see how many roads operated in the 1880s with 5-foot gauge….I thought that was only the case during the Civil War.   Sort of an interesting side issue.   Wonder how the differences in gauge impacted interchange…… some Southern roads had 5-foot, others were 4-foot nine-inch which I think even included the PRR IIRC.

Also in tiptoeing through the railway journals ran across references to Track Pans (water pickup on the fly).   I was surprised to see that there were more roads than just the eastern ones using such installations…..like the Milwaukee Road.   I know that the CB&Q  N  and early P class engines (and maybe the passenger Moguls) had water scoops but I don’t think I’ve ever seen anything of where the track pans were located….presumably somewhere on the Chicago-Galesburg line????

Also found some references in the trade journals about six-wheeled European-style tenders being tried by a number of lines with the comment that some were dubious of their ability to negotiate rough track.

Charlie Vlk

Posted by: "Charlie Vlk" <cvlk@comcast.net>