[CBQ] Re: Terminal Transfers

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Terminal Transfers
From: "runextra@gmail.com [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: 09 Dec 2014 08:17:40 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1418141862; bh=yxTCq+qqbQTdHgA0zFLXPOmt4nKNrcV9xJUE+lIFneA=; h=To:References:In-Reply-To:From:List-Id:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:From:Subject; b=B0vMRIV2Kt3dYvOUNGoYzEkIzY+9S7A1k6sk32Y9DVakQIeJiQcH9LYv/hjolML3kNX54ZDddfjVX1yYTkFmeirQuNXLWU5M9/HxCH0NtGXxvPG2bwHBbalfWP3VErShS4rblVudeqpQNA1tmHjsZ2yVg0Z57zJCtLN2QmVitQ8=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

This is not CB&Q because there were not many transfers in Sheridan Wyoming ;-) where I worked most of my career.
I can attest to the fact that transfer jobs were lucrative when I worked for the Penn Central in the Cincinnati area in the late 1960s. The main home terminal was Sharonville hump yard on the north side of Cincinnati. From there we ran xfers to the B&O, N&W, and various other former NYC & PRR yards. We also crossed the Ohio River on the C&O, Southern, and L&N bridges to take transfers to those railroad's yards in Kentucky.
We didn't cab-hop home most of the time. We WOULD bring a transfer from any of these yards back to Sharonville IF we had time which wasn't often. We usually died on the hours in the foreign yard and taxied home. The hours of service law was 16 hours then. If you worked 16:00 or longer you required 10 hours rest and that meant you would not be rested for the scheduled starting time of your regular job the next day and therefore would miss a day. If you were on duty 11:59 or less you only needed 8 hours of rest and would be rested just in time to catch your regular transfer job the next day. Needless to say, even if we were on duty 17 or 18 hours by the time they got us taxied home and we got tied up we would mark off duty at 11:59 so we could catch our own job just 7 or 6 hours later. I was 19 years old and those oldheads were killing me! But the money was fantastic because working 16 hours a day meant 8 hours straight time plus 8 hours overtime which is a total 2.5 days pay every day even without any rule arbitrary payments. So the guys working the regular transfer runs made 2.5 times as much money in a year compared to a regular 8 hour yard job or local.

Posted by: runextra@gmail.com