[CBQ] Terminal Transfers

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Terminal Transfers
From: "qutlx1@aol.com [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2014 18:02:38 -0600
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Don't ask me why certain things pop into this aging brain,but I thought the
group would enjoy the following dissertation on terminal transfers.

For many,many decades their was the 6 month agreement on terminal transfers.
This applied to all terminals in North America,and Chicago being the largest it
had the highest volume.

The agreement stated road A would deliver to road B a transfer and return to
their terminal Caboose(w/c lite). After that road B would come to road A's
terminal w/c lite and pick up the transfer.

Of course the flip,side applied also. In essence transfer crews operated Way
car lite half the day.

Now what is not widely understood in the rail fan community is that these
transfers moved at a snails pace,literally. Moving cars across Chicago over
numerous xings and RRs involved,lots of stops and idle time. Once safely parked
in the foreign road terminal the crew could wait a'long time to get clearance
to go back and grab their Waycar and head home. I have been told by a certain Q
yard master that it was not uncommon to have a half dozen card games going at D
yard office in Cicero.

Here's how I know how lucrative these transfer were , there was a Chicago
terminal switchman whose last name was very close to mine. He had one less P on
the end and had an S. Bottom line his paycheck was on top of mine in the stack
at the Aurora pay window twice a month. Every month his check amount was more
than mine. Despite the fact he worked 5 days a week and I usually worked 6 or
7. The transfers  were good jobs for the old head snakes.

Of course all that is long gone now with direct deliveries by road crews to the
BRC(belt at clearing).

Leo Phillipp

Sent from my iPad

Posted by: qutlx1@aol.com