[CBQ] Rochelle Meat Packing Plant

To: cbq@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Rochelle Meat Packing Plant
From: qutlx1@aol.com
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2011 18:36:29 -0500 (EST)
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1295566617; bh=PeKcgFeRn765b9g8APe8JpmcNY1yaxKLj4tBBb4oabA=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Message-ID:To:X-Mailer:X-AOL-IP:x-aol-global-disposition:X-AOL-SCOLL-SCORE:X-AOL-SCOLL-URL_COUNT:x-aol-sid:X-Originating-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=JFaqkfQceSb82uBvtfQ+kGSFCeOypjqL3YS2pFqWrOxvQie5PGfXuk6Rc84YewIWv3McLtdMjr/x6Mi1QZxXFm5uJI00kh4nO0YPsrm1xC6PS6OV7WXbeJTAqUzJqHFW
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Doug,

Swift at Rochelle was the only packing plant I had the  pleasure to switch.
As far as my research goes Aurora Pack at North Aurora,  alongside the West
Chicago line, never had rail service.Those were the only  packing plans on
the old Aurora Div.

As far as Swift at Rochelle I could add that in '73/'74 we  would pull a
loaded mech reefer once a week from there billed to Galesburg.  Occasionally
they would load 2/week. As I recall they were shipped later in the  week. I
do recall the killing line operating all 6 nights we worked. We switched  the
"other" product tracks every night. I can't say for sure but one type  of
the tallow shipped in tanks had to go to Rockford to be weighed and then came
 back to Flag Center to be P/U by a thru train. If the Rockford w/f didn't
come  "downtown" to p/u the Rockfords we would take them up to Flag for them
to p/u.  This was about the only time we got the engine up to any speed in
12 hours of  switching hundreds of cars each night.

There is one side story that I may have told before so I'll  provide the
Cliif notes version this time. Swift was having a product  "shrinkage" problem
at the plant and for some reason they suspected us on the  night job. Every
evening we would swap the engine with the day job at the depot  as we both
worked 12 hours so we literally often stepped on as they stepped  off.

This particular night each day crew member teamed up with a  night crew guy
and took him aside and asked if we were taking product from Swift  as they
suspected we were. We had not touched a thing and told the day crew the
same. They advised that a trap was set for that night.

When we went to Swift to pull the load of meat the car door  was wide open
which was very unusual. We walked all over the plant office trying  to find
someone to close the door and apply the seals. We finally found someone  and
when they finished we pulled the car.

A few days later the day crew advised that Swift mgmt had  found their
thieves. It was their own truck drivers.

Leo Phillipp

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com
    CBQ-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com