RE: [CBQ] Re: various types of Morse code

To: CBQ List CBQ RR List <cbq@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: RE: [CBQ] Re: various types of Morse code
From: ROBERT K SORENSEN <rksmes@q.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2010 22:09:09 +0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1292537351; bh=sI+QaF8bB779DP589aRpLS2RpYmXEYqbQbCRUx87Hqg=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Message-ID:To:Importance:In-Reply-To:References:X-OriginalArrivalTime:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=IR6kq8DtnHMf+1FHUGr8PKhzpHYondUh6Ynecd8xy+anzJto+SsVsKdlcGbkD9a+CUGPocvxoZo+jLJSS0qPe4ndneRQ5iQ3uOxIB6GOwsDMbHSld7k5qdUIuMS2IVXS
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Gerald and all-  In the Army (ASA) in Korea, we intercepted the Chinese who
used international morse code.  They did have some  2 & 3-letter groups that
had special meaning that we learned.
In relation to speed, we usually knew if the message was long or possibly
important because the sender would slow-down the message after he made the
contact with the receiver.  Getting the message right the first time was
important.  Now back to RR-

I worked at Kurth Malting in Mpls in mid 1960's during the time of change-over
from receiving barley from the country elevators from box cars to covered
hoppers.  The company's terminal elevator was in the city, like the other malt
companies.  By some agreement, we could reject a "plugged" car.  (Plugged with
pockets of dust or junk by the country elevator.)  So all of the barley for the
3 malthouses Kurth operated was received, cleaned and graded in Minneapolis.
The larger sized A and B was shipped on or used in Mpls.  Most of the smaller C
barley was shipped to Duluth for export.  Outgoing cars were always covered
hoppers.  So, the tail tracks filled with empty boxes for the GN to remove as
they brought in more hoppers, usually Soo or Milw.  Our Elevator Sup spent lots
of time on phone with GN to get cars delivered for both loading and unloading.
This really changed when barley started coming in by hoppers.  Unloading was so
much different and much faster as the crew did not need to break or remove the
grain-doors, etc. Then, all the men needed to do was blow-out the dust and move
the hopper to the load-out track.  No more tail-track full of box cars!
BTW- Kurth has since gone out of business.
Bob

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com
    CBQ-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com