RE: [CBQ] Re: various types of Morse code

To: <cbq@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: RE: [CBQ] Re: various types of Morse code
From: Gerald Edgar <vje68@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2010 13:06:49 -0600
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1292526651; bh=QYOwcO+IfZZzNt1lhFqYFbkJVWYvfic0IX9A3sOVXyU=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Message-ID:To:Importance:In-Reply-To:References:X-OriginalArrivalTime:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=OvaWzgu5QNwt5D9ZtQDDJP//16nacuIN21wNQ1nVvG5+Edt4AY/VIY6hRLXXuCvFly6VKyxEK6K366xyGzfGDXeNog0lageDrL9UhPsGqjGBvXmRaSJSBE2uhPsaNLow
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
So-called Continental Morse was created by a German by the name of Gerhke (sp?)
& evolved into or became the same as International Morse.  ("Continental" often
being a term used by Americans to describe something from Europe, i.e. the
Continent) as opposed to being of American origin.

Thus for all intents & purposes for nearly a century there have been 2 Morse
code systems, American & International with a few variances within countries
with odd alphabets.  I know from experience working in Air Force intelligence
during 'Nam, the Red Chinese & Russians had slight variations from each other
so it made it easy to tell one from the other BUT both were using International
Morse Code.  (an aside: it was a LOT easier for us to learn their lingo, ie.
International Morse, than for them to learn the alphabet and relate it to their
alphabet and send same via code.  Then add in the fact our radios, antennas &
satellites were/are far superior plus better cryptology, we knew far more about
what they were up to then vice-a-versa such as when a new Mig was being shipped
to China from Russia and possibly on to No. Vietnam)  But back to RRing:

My Christmas list to the gift will touch on code words used by CB&Q that
allowed operators to communicate even faster; i.e. using a 4-6 letter 'word' to
mean an entire phrase.

Gerald