Re: [CBQ] unit coal trains - equipment trusts

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] unit coal trains - equipment trusts
From: John Manion <railbass@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2010 12:11:29 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1291144292; bh=2keNl9ZQIkdtjpj6FYmvLN6KrQ0QJLgnRKmtw+W8ktg=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:In-Reply-To:References:X-Google-Sender-Auth:Message-ID:To:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=NZo67dv2Q97QLPFjHsvvivva34yvJ9x0EQaTt4PvFFAy4WT/fPX5FkJTyKphEYpxMRU45BgjFJWB7kkkpqQQ2HDM4ema9ob0V2fSIFNGVRIbyiLFqHwPKoblnMt2O3wv
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
The Southern was responsible for one of the major changes in rate regulation
by the ICC in the early 1960s with "Big John," a 100-ton aluminum covered
hopper which allowed grain to be carried in longer trains at lower cost,
which the railroad wanted to pass on to the shippers.   ICC ruled that the
lower rate would unfairly compete with barge grain hauling, and the Southern
took the case to the Supreme Court, which ruled in their favor.   At a train
show a few months ago, I picked up a Quality Craft Model of the "Big John"
hopper, an all-wood kit with plastic detail parts and Champ decals.
- John Manion
  Denver, CO

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com
    CBQ-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com