Re: [CBQ] RE: Burlington Annual Reports

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] RE: Burlington Annual Reports
From: "cvlk" <cvlk@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2010 14:13:12 -0600
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1289938375; bh=dzR7i352OsuDF6q0dbgjwijteEgxu2pTDDf7n3usUMA=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Message-ID:To:References:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MimeOLE:X-Originating-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=DuzcetjDOtlb7KlDCcE2g7pjYUft77O+lmd9XzsjmvKi5htCXSPNA34D6RkXDYKRmygkb74CgEDnuTCIIeI0qZruEiLH1onWvEI94/yp1vPn8VjyvyLTDrCCQWPG4SDQ
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Duncan-

If you go to the Mercantile, and if you have time, could you see if they might
have anything on the CB&Q Dynamometer Car Z?   It was built in July, 1884.
There is some evidence that a second car was built in July, 1885 (maybe the
Y??) but it may be a records error in the renumbering records as a steel scale
test car was built in 1885 and it could have been numbered Y....
I've already checked the 1895 Car Builders Cyclopedia and it isn't in there.
There should be coverage in the National Car and Locomotive Builder.  It was
displayed at the Columbian Exhibition Worlds Fair in 1893 (exhibit #49) but an
English book on the transportation exhibits did not cover it.   It is only
mentioned obliquely in the accounts of the Air Brake Trials at West Burlington
(usually as "Dynamometer Car" but a couple of times as "Car Z") but with no
illustrations of the car.
I am going to try to get to the Northwestern University Transportation Museum
soon to see what I can find.
What Coaches modified into what Waycars are you trying to document?   If they
are the "Branchline Waycars" I believe most of them are known...  Let me know
what you are looking for and I'll keep my eye out for the material if I don't
have it.

I found a few annual reports on Google Books.....  1855, 1872, 1910 ... by
searching Chicago, Burlington & Quincy, CB&Q, or Burlington.

I am pulling together a few CDs for Rupert of my downloads (including Chicago
Tribune newspaper articles of initerest) and have to organize the titles and
content as the way they are titled on Google Books is inconsistent and
everything needs to be renamed to keep straight.

There is a lot of material available if you experiment with different search
terms.... old trade journals, labor magazines, textbooks, Carbuilders
Cyclopedias, Railway Age, etc...

Charlie Vlk