Re: [CBQ] FW: Morse Code: A Lost Language

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] FW: Morse Code: A Lost Language
From: Robert McNay <CptMatt@ameritech.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2010 12:31:08 -0800 (PST)
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1289939469; bh=5MEbbVmFdFV2PtllSq6vaBdv7VS0uGwMKiaMwsUK30s=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Message-ID:X-YMail-OSG:X-Received:X-Mailer:To:In-Reply-To:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=pQP3Pz9qFs+7xi6pD7YzRrQ0HZRygVR1lWUzoU2GhdYfhya1nhZu2ir7+xzxJeuk4dI5Iy7uf/zK7BtDA9EBGHPV+tMG+qIUJC7I3YxpMH8qUIVLHFhxfUiks5EQetEx
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
It makes sense because, while GPS/Loran/etc are incredibly reliable and
accurate, they can be jammed by ECM or taken out with an EMP. That happens and
you're back in the footsteps of Magellan (the navigator, not the GPS maker).

I almost learned Morse code. Back at the beginning of the CB radio craze of the
'70s, there was no CB radio license, they were under the ham radio licensing.
To get a ham radio license, you had to pass a Morse code test. Then Congress
and the FCC changed the licensing and created the Citizen's Band license, where
basically paid your $10 and got a little card saying "authorized". At some
point, I think they even deep sixed that and anyone case buy and use a CB
radio, no license required (or jacket).

Rob McNay
Chicago IL