RE: [CBQ] Commercial Post - The Burlington Waycars

To: <cbq@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: RE: [CBQ] Commercial Post - The Burlington Waycars
From: Gerald Edgar <vje68@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2010 10:09:46 -0600
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1289837388; bh=4tt5e1et5lbDBM7MXQ5fY3FwFmRDbzL4NdjyB5odeLE=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Message-ID:To:Importance:In-Reply-To:References:X-OriginalArrivalTime:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=r7imPp5aypfFAVe9Ae4rQSCeHCLUnvD2oB50ZnjFYwb2MQB1GTEvObsiKk60owM7vE5iw8WvhvomOEOxU8rKzGSjDMAqObHnfDgv1hWy0NWzw7O5+oWQgpes6P94YWIt
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
In a word (whether coaches modified into Way Cars had their #'s shown): no.

I think CB&Q A.R.'s may be a good subject for a future Zephyr.  (C&S/FtW&D
stat's are included in later yrs but also had supplements available in some yrs)

All issues are roughly two parts: prose as to how the past year went, major
initiatives, challenges etc and what plans are going forward and then lots of
financial  statistics.

Included are summary's of new track & signal work (and new passenger train
service), bridges and major bldgs constructed (depots, frt houses, etc) etc.
Until the Murphy yrs there is seldom any mention of car #'s (very early issues
do have a fold out detailing every locomotive - this was the source of the info
Bernie Corbin had in his "Steam Loco's", i.e. he xeroxed said pages.

Sometimes A.R.'s will get fairly detailed (elevation work in Chicago & Aurora)
and other times fairly sketchy.  When equipment is built, modified or purchased
(or scrapped), it's in terms of "16 boxcars, 3 coaches, etc" with seldom much
info beyond that, usually no mention of which commercial builder (shop-built is
always mentioned however).  The summaries always do included frt, pass AND MoW
which is a plus.  I had intended this past w/e to look thru carefully for
experimental gas/electric motive power per Charlie's request.  (my w/e ended up
with a visit to my parents & a depressing loss of our Hawkeyes to Northwestern
so has been put off to next w/e)

My A.R. collection is scattered from 1862 to late 1870's and then nearly a
solid 'run' to BN time.  The odd year is 1916 when 2 A.R.'s were issued as BR
transitioned from a July to June Fiscal yr to a Calendar FY; photos were not
used til the PZ issue and then not again til 1949 with color coming in under
Murphy with his yrs being by far the best A.R.'s from a railfan viewpoint
although the detailed info as to carloadings in earlier issues is diminished so
is a trade-off.

Gerald