[CBQ] Atomic trains in the 50s

To: "CBQ@yahoogroups.com" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [CBQ] Atomic trains in the 50s
From: Dan <dlgrobe@ameritech.net>
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2010 07:28:45 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1286540946; bh=ZC0ByXb1OT4cyFvzNI7cjYtCbqtrWhCg71sFoYa7270=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Yahoo-SMTP:X-YMail-OSG:References:In-Reply-To:X-Apple-Yahoo-Original-Message-Folder:Message-Id:X-Mailer:X-Apple-Yahoo-Replied-Msgid:To:X-Originating-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=J/vDfyA7wnWt6TsVgeWH3+8Qo8ggdLeV9TAhk6Q9yOzs2da3mO+qAaY83HtKN/Psa/pfWigCFMvc8zhdlNXDjDXPNOk3TlxNVYXs8QD1S4TyxzfMEc43dBYBkf/Pxa4z
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Over on the EJE list one of the guys was recalling working an atomic train in
the late 50s. The J picked the train up from the NYC and delivered it to the
CBQ. Does anyone have any info on the train and maybe photos of the cars used?
I'm including his comments below.

Dan

Richard: I do not remember his name, that is a shame . We used to bull a lot at
Kirk Yard on layover. We both were out of East Joliet. I wish I could remember,
maybe I will.

         If you can remember back in the 50's nuclear was new.  We had a run we
called the Atomic train. It consisted of about 10-12 flats with Silver Lead
containers on them, one to each flat. Believe me they were heavy. There was
also a passenger car with them, and it was full of ARMED troupes. Any how, we
( I only caught it once) would pick it up at porter yard. We would be called
and have to wait until the NYC delivered it. The only thing they would let us
do is to couple up, we could not cut in the air, this was done by armed
Soldiers.
         When we were ready, we stopped for nothing, I mean at Griffith and so
on every thing stopped as we came through.
          When we got to East Joliet Yard, they had us all switched through,
and we did not stop. We would take it to Eola and drop it off as the CB&Q did
the same. What was nice was that we made three days pay in two.  That was real
over kill.

Chuck

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com
    CBQ-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com