[CBQ] empty cars

To: cbq@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] empty cars
From: qutlx1@aol.com
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2010 15:40:42 EDT
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1286480486; bh=CLWHqKbqEiHKZ0MLanpogL9YEEnjah1lQiMQPM2ddO4=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Message-ID:To:X-Mailer:X-AOL-IP:X-Spam-Flag:X-AOL-SENDER:X-Originating-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=F4nbwjBiGCuxZ0plgFse2hKfrfm6FqPB+49hFpHrF8kGEehptOHCbJaehi3pBr3Cr1ZC1L6wE7bUoqFFIKl/Kkmfk583Q2jkTZgedbsasYjMmAZqHvZRHPRp8Q1dw0vl
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
I'll try and provide some of the answers on mty cars you are  asking . Keep
in mind that this applies only to "free runners" not cars assigned  to
pools, in dedicated service or private marked cars.

>From my days in the "White House or G.O." in Chicago the  ultimate
distribution of mtys was under the control of car distributors at the  G.O.
Customers contacted agents who contacted the car distibutor. The car
distributor
then did his best to fill the car order based on  priority,profitablility,
etc.

Yes an agent can tell the local crew or engine to pull an mty  from one
industry and set it at another for loading. Of course the car  distributor may
have had another request for the car.

The clearest example I was involved in was while working the  Earlville
Turn. We spotted a new combine at Earlville for the implement company.  A
couple days later the flat car was mty and we pulled it and took it directly
Cat in Montgomery and placed it on the loading dock that night. Next night
we  pulled it as a load of Cat wheel loaders. Hows that for  utilization?

At this time of year,back in the day, the Condr on locals was  also his own
car distributor . Each elevator would be screaming for  cars,each agent of
course sent the cries to the car distributors who had as many  mtys as
possible shifted and stationed for grain loading. The classification  yards
would
fill each local w/grain mtys and the Condr would be the ultimate  judge of
how many cars each elevator received.

How you ask? It has to do a little bit with the payoffs left  on the back
step of the w/c before the wayfreight left town. The currency was
cigarettes,booze,etc. The better the gratuity the more cars  delivered.

I'm sure there's much more detail involved but thats about the  extent of
my exposure on mty car allocations.

Leo Phillipp

Gentlemen,
I have learned a lot from this  group so let me pose a question on the
handling of empty freight cars. I know  that when shipper needs a car, he
orders
it from the nearest agent and a car is  delivered, per specifications for
for the shipper to empty the car ane return it  to the railroad before a late
fee is charged. I think it is our days. My  questions are who directs the
pick up of the emtpy car, where is is sent and how  is is accounted for by the
railroad and who actually orders an emtpy car to be  delivered.
Further, can an station agent, who had a need for an empty car,  simply
take one just released, inform the Traffic Deptratment (?) that he has  done so
and take place said car at another local shipper?
This seems like  and area many modelers overlook or do not handle properly
in our quest for  realistic operations. Thank you for your assistance.

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com
    CBQ-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com