Re: [CBQ] Re: BRHS vitality

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Re: BRHS vitality
From: "cvlk" <cvlk@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 14:07:58 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1284406162; bh=szzapUG38nJyfuJy/6bIj8wWy8YOAFmjffOptgAhYD8=; h=Received:Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Message-ID:To:References:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MimeOLE:X-Originating-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=LgKar4wLkNFszAFPlJdMbN+XguYgNgYt8ZU8sY/Syt7NFS3RukNRcQ1R7pBAWqkVWZtZZuWWr40eRtVLPD0MncxnuZcNN0Tst81iUPmFXiOvDjqYbgDPbSMcuihIUWay
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
I powered up my computer this morning for the first time since Thursday, having
been at the BRHS annual meet in Geneva over the weekend.

I found it interesting that this thread started before the meet as it was the
subject of some discussion at the Annual Business Meeting.....

Everyone I talked to (or, as my cold went to my throat, croaked at) that
COMMUNICATIONS is sorely lacking within the BRHS and is rapidly killing it.

Much was made over the lack of Bulletins being published.   We certainly owe
Hol Wagner a huge debt of gratitude for his herculean efforts in editing and
producing the Burlington Bulletins over the years.   The past success of the
society are in large measure due to him and his professionalism.

But, for a variety of reasons we have gone from two bulletins a year to none in
two years.   Not surprisingly, membership in the organization has dropped off.

Political bickering within the board and between the board and members has been
a long standing problem.    We continue to lose good people from the BRHS or
find talented people pulling back from being active.

The lack of any ability to be able to create an archives is a huge
embarrassment.... and a problem for the long-term goal of preserving the
History of the Burlington Route.
So many other similar organizations have been able to do so much in this
area..... why cannot we?    At this point all but a few members have any idea
what has been donated to the BRHS and where the material is.   We have lost
much material because we do not have a place to donate it to, and much of it
will be junked or scattered to the winds in private collections if we do not
have a central repository that people know about and trust.

I think the board got a sense of how frustrated the membership is with the
current situation and will be taking steps to get things moving.

At least I hope so.    As has been noted here, the vitality of the BRHS is in
serious jeopardy right now, and we need to turn it around if it is to survive.

Charlie Vlk

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com
    CBQ-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com