[CBQ] Re: BRHS vitality

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: BRHS vitality
From: William Barber <clipperw@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2010 10:45:25 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1284047140; bh=I27AtrnTKHm58p3WdyuLXU/w8HNmog+t28JhWba5WiM=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:In-Reply-To:References:Message-Id:To:X-Mailer:X-Originating-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=tx3OJXEdWZ76ayNJ6X9r9TDxI+qWNqo0is6wqYckq2UkCe4ysiQMUa8zfApBp/8BylTKGOx4PcFI0krTufjO80HnFQPjF7buRkT9XHLrfFYteC3796n3WrUIzP276nQA
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
John,

IRM does a Thomas weekend every year with the same results; large
crowds. Of course, those crowds get to experience other equipment in
operation the same days, including some Q equipment. This year, a
"Day Out with Thomas" occurred on both the weekend of August 13
(three days) and August 21 (two days). Electric and diesel trains
were also operated. Thomas, while a child's toy, is an excellent way
to introduce young people to our world of trains.

Thomas. of course, wasn't around when I was a kid in the '40s, but I
had a dad who was interested in trains, the Q and was also a skilled
wood worker. He built an entire trains set for me out of wood. They
were scaled slightly smaller than HO and, best of all, were all
modeled after Q equipment of the day. Included was a hudson, pacific
(#2816 as shown in this month's Zephyr) and a O-1a mike. There was
also a 4 unit diesel with A-B FTs and F3s and a diesel switcher. He
built a heavy weight passenger train, complete with an open platform
observation and a streamline train. There was a wooden yard complete
with roundhouse, diesel shop and turntable. There were also freight
cars and a run through station complete with lights inside. All the
cars were coupled together with hooks and eyes. The wheels were fixed
with metal brads driven in the bottom so that the models would not
wear and they were pulled along the floor.

Unfortunately, over the years and generations of kids, the trains
were heavily damaged. I have a few pieces left, but most are now in
poor shape, but those trains certainly started my interest in
railroads and the Q. The hudson was my favorite. Guess that is why I
own to O scale Q hudsons today, plus a couple in HO.

Bill Barber
Gravois Mills, MO

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com
    CBQ-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com