Re: [CBQ] CB&Q stations eliminated pre-1909

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] CB&Q stations eliminated pre-1909
From: Bill Hirt <whirt@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2010 17:50:08 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1280011820; bh=S9tfR1We91W+TSfPoe0xYZvFP0A1TJTJFN4MVfG0R7U=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Yahoo-SMTP:X-YMail-OSG:Message-ID:User-Agent:To:References:In-Reply-To:X-Originating-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=OAFaK/FS3k9a366jYsbrQfBGRK18FQ3lYVS23GnKCuz4E97l+QELvPHY4zXmEiMfaJfFmcmOBKVPu6tDNQhNcRTsH/azuyyMA7/hYYHrsNVqMensrDu3hz5vI1069tUZ
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
  It's curious that East Leavenworth, Missouri, is on the list. The
reason I say this is that on the St Joe Division Employee Timetable of
1938 virtually all mainline passenger trains stopped there (including
the Pioneer Zephyr). Also there were six transfer trains per day each
direction between Leavenworth, Kansas, and East Leavenworth to shuttle
passengers to and from the mainline trains. By 1940, only one passenger
train a day was stopping at East Leavenworth and the shuttle trains were
gone. A Burlington Trailways bus was handling the connection between
Leavenworth and East Leavenworth to Beverly, Missouri. Beverly, just
north of East Leavenworth, now had the passenger stops. By the 1950's,
no passenger trains were stopping at East Leavenworth.

Also in the January 1929 Bullinger's Postal and Shipping Guide (an
actual CB&Q office copy) shows East Leavenworth as a telegraph office.

No depot there today, but the siding is still there marked East
Leavenworth about 15 minutes from my house.

St. Peters, MO, went away because the Q built their own line along the
Mississippi River into St Louis instead of using the Wabash.

Bill

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com
    CBQ-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com