RE: [CBQ] TCZ Dome Cars and BLI TCZ Consist

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [CBQ] TCZ Dome Cars and BLI TCZ Consist
From: Bob Webber <cz17@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 22:51:30 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1269661934; bh=oB7/Y4+bBW2XvE9pFSDZFiTfZYRWWeFEZVuEStmqZGQ=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Message-Id:X-Mailer:To:In-Reply-To:References:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=RBqbkOagjJgzFcaNI1D4PtYewjHOgv9ycyVw7Y77BSsVWwAIyIrLGSazrm6j+2OUc7uU93ykI2mxQRU+4cMR9b6im5Vg3aOsxi1tgw64rqv2S+lv6RmjnZG91+8pIaPj
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
I think I discussed this on the list before, I am certain I "talked"
to Loren about it.  When the first set of cars came out, I started
looking at them as fodder for more Q cars.  The "hard part" was done
- the full skirting.  I had seen attempts at retrofitting the
skirting, and knew it wasn't a job that I would like.   For instance,
you can basically take a Walthers PACIFIC (UP 10-6) and "simply" add
full skirts, and you have a number of cars for the various re-orders.

Laser Horizons will, for a fee, laser out the window section on a
car, and either they or Union Station will created window bands to
fit.  For the cost of the original car, the lasering and the lasering
(side and band), you can make a lot of variants.  Of course, by then,
if you paid retail, you'd be looking at near brass prices.

NKP car makes a few sides that work for the other cars - for
instance, the "other" 10-6, FLOWER (6-6-4) cars, the split window
coaches and more.  They are designed to use the TSP Budd core kit.
Other companies have other sides.  It depends tho on which core you
like better - a Walthers one or a TSP because the lengths are not
always the same.

So... when BLI cars were being cleared out or auctioned of for under
$30, I bought several (duplicates) with the idea of using them as
cores.  Some may be easier than others, but there is a route
there.  I've seen a fairly convincing parlor car made from the
Walthers Budd coach, and there have been other such conversions in
various magazines.

The problem is that BLI reps will always show interest, nod their
heads, and indicate some official interest.  However, they are not
going to do much until people are willing to put in the time and
effort to do some research and putting together a package of
concepts.  Even then, their schedule seems to be booked for quite a
while with the Daylight cars and other diesels they "plan on coming
out with".   Having the information come under the auspices of the
BRHS may help.

Kato would be the obvious source for some cars we don't have in HO -
but...when asked, they feel HO passenger cars don't sell.  They were
burned by the commuter & high level cars and see that there is no
market (perception becomes reality).  They see no difference between
a bi-level commuter car and a pre-war Budd coach, diner or
obs.  Which is a shame, because their rendition of the Q business car
is really quite good, better in places than anything else.  Thanks
Charlie!   It's nevertheless a pity, but I wouldn't expect help from Kato.

At 08:50 PM 3/26/2010, you wrote:

>I contacted BLI several years ago about running some of the cars
>undecorated and removing the corner name boards as only the CZ had
>them from what I can tell.  If they could stop the process before
>those holes are drilled not only can some of the cars be used as is
>on other trains but some (relatively) simple window rearrangements
>could be made to get other cars.
>

>It would be fairly easy for someone like Brass Car Sides or even
>someone working in styrene to produce an overlay or "insert" that
>would go into the window strip.
>

>Ricky Keil
>
>Bellevue, NE

Bob Webber