[CBQ] Re: TCZ Dome Cars and BLI TCZ Consist

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: TCZ Dome Cars and BLI TCZ Consist
From: "graywolfs2" <graywolfs02@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 15:02:47 -0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1269615883; bh=l/0nHgrSz7DT2Ke3X75gznicJOoe2GmiS1kA3MHId+w=; h=Received:Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:To:Message-ID:In-Reply-To:User-Agent:X-Mailer:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:X-Yahoo-Post-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=nYyfV94tu1nRE9rd8QAPxt2cnkseovyIrYLTNgTJDexG4A21W396m50x86Uj0moNLKOr/NsnvhFDfaYyba6wTXi17VeDFaHWsMPN+9M5dtcv+zOV8edm7NKAfGPUvKJc
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Tom and Group,

I will take a step into this one until someone of better knowledge steps in
(Loren are you out there??).

In reviewing a couple of my informational books ("Q" Passenger Car Diagrams
from Railway Production Classics and the Randall book), I will insert my
information:

--- In CBQ@yahoogroups.com, "thommack" <thommack@...> wrote:

> I met the folks from BLI at the Springfield show and discussed the potential
> for putting together a TCZ from existing CZ equipment. As I recall the
> baggage and diner from the CZ are basically right on for the TCZ.

The TCZ did not run a baggage car per say....I am sure someone will offer
photographic proof that I am wrong, but I think we are looking here at an "as
built/initial run" of the Twin Zephyr. What the TCZ DID have that none of the
other Zephyrs ran was the Baggage Club Lounge car.

The diner is "spot on"

> But what about the domes? How many different floor plans are there for the
> domes in the TCZ? Is one of the existing BLI CZ domes a close stand-in?

The floor plans of the domes themselves are all the same...24 passengers.

> The biggest issue, of course, is the dome-ob, because the TCZ dome location
> is opposite the CZ - CZ is rear, TCZ is forward. I mentioned this to the
> folks at BLI and they were not aware that what they already have is very
> close to putting together a whole new train, namely the TCZ. I stressed,
> however, that the dome-ob would definitely have to be redone to make it work.

Yes. That would be one of the "signature" cars. There are lots of differences
between the two that a whole new tooling would be needed by BLI.

> If we can show them that they already have a set of cars that will work for
> the TCZ, except for the dome-ob, they might consider running a TCZ dome-ob.
>
> I would like everyone's help on this to determine:
>
> 1. What needs to be done to get a "close enough" TCZ? Will definitely need a
> new dome-ob.

"Close enough" would be the new Obs Dome and a Bag/Lounge.

> 2. What needs to be done to get an "intermediate" TCZ? Definitely need the
> dome-ob, but is there a floor plan for a dome-coach that would work for most
> of or the majority of the TCZ dome-coaches?

The same as item #1. I think that the current CZ cars re-lettered "BURLINGTON"
would be a decent stand-in.

> 3. What needs to be done for the "perfect" TCZ?

This one would entail all new tooling for the domes because of the window
arrangements are different between the TCZ and CZ domes. The CZ domes are 70
passenger cars while the TCZ cars are 78 w/o conductors window and 74 w/cond.
window. The re-/new tooling for the Dome Obs and the Baggage/Club Lounge.

> Of course, the lettering needs to be changed from "California Zephyr" to
> Burlington. (Except that BLI I know ran unlettered baggage and diners). So
> while on this topic, how hard is it to get the CZ lettering off the BLI cars?
> On the Walthers stainless steel cars you could put on a little SolvaSet and
> wait about three minutes and the lettering just peeled right off with a
> fingernail. Does anyone have experience getting the BLI CZ lettering off
> existing cars?

I have no experience with this...sorry.

> I look forward to your replies.

I hope this helps some Tom. I currently have the Oriental Limited brass version
of the TCZ (with the parlor car)and would definitely purchase a seven car set
of the TCZ from BLI were they to produce a true set (I would too go for a
"close enough" with the proper Obs and Bag/lounge).
Now your next assignment, Tom, is to get BLI to produce a run of "Q" Mikes!!!

> Tom Mack
> Cincinnati, OH

Greg K.
Minnesota