[CBQ] Re: exisiting BR steam locos & "10 Meets

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: exisiting BR steam locos & "10 Meets
From: "ryan_gash" <gasher28@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2009 01:18:04 -0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1261531318; bh=ZbuV+wlAzNZTFL9qtyAkBah95Pa1h4mLd5SZsdjRSUM=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:To:Message-ID:In-Reply-To:User-Agent:X-Mailer:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:X-Yahoo-Post-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=LE+kAR3pg7f+l7v329IVK3FsAU/dJJS0Lw4nEju5Y35xytGUQco7YhVnzoTaTp7ZEHLZ9xegdgvFCQVMPiep6KJ3HPVvHYsJS7YVisz5DcGa6APDpSE56avFT+FyXXlb
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
That is exactly how I became interested in the Q.  Born in 1984 I was way late
on seeing any type of Q operations; it just so happened that my favorite color
as a kid was green, so naturally I was drawn the BN with their big green
locomotives!  As I grew up I became more interested in the history of the BN
and it's predecessor roads; as well as railroad and American history in
general.  I do find that in my generation and those that follow there is a huge
lack of interest in history in general, but that's another topic for another
day.

What also helped was seeing the 9911 and it's train at Illinois Railway Museum
for the first time, sitting outside reflecting the bright sunlight off the
stainless steel made me want to see more photos and learn more about the great
machine and the people that built it, operated it, and took great pride in
their work.

I still have a long way to go in my Q 'education' but hopefully I can learn as
much as I can from those of you that actually experienced it.  There are plenty
of us young railfans out there, I run into them all the time while out
trackside.

So maybe if Mr Sandberg does choose to restore a Q steam locomotive there will
be a surge in interest in the Q as I can imagine there was with the 261 and the
Milwaukee Rd, heck it got me looking into it the first time I saw it run!

I do agree that making the past relevant to the present and future will draw in
more members and interest in the Q, which many museums and historical societies
do in a great way.  I'm hoping to re-join the BRHS in the near future when I
can free up some extra funds.  There is hope for the young folk in this country
so don't give up on us just yet!

Ryan Gash
Oak Park, IL

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com