[CBQ] Re: exisiting BR steam locos & "10 Meets

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [CBQ] Re: exisiting BR steam locos & "10 Meets
From: "Kujawa's" <xark@mtco.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2009 20:05:56 -0600
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1261534437; bh=D+p8PzHBQrAgXK90ODNsUxJx8Nlb/leiCJe9Zz+1x5A=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-RC-FROM:X-RC-RCPT:X-Received:Message-ID:To:References:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MimeOLE:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=Y3WYxE1KbAgg8pJnjwYxTGzK+hrAtt9yn4lhjuI7zB6s7/Bf2VsgnPY59rbMn5+htblgcNe7lod08DqNrVQwZxp0CbqleBwqffxQ7io8YRoNNn+xSZL1FanN06OT0x67
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Attraction is the key.

You need to make the magazine more like the Milwaukee or Northwestern where
I can send in a short story with photos and not have to write a book about
an obscure engine or car.  Save these books and publish them as such like
the Milwaukee does. Make a magazine with a variety of articles that will
attract a variety of people from different regions.

Secondly you need to promote the meets.  There has to be months of notice
not weeks. Info needs to go to all the mags and passed out at swap meets and
hobby shops. Some interested people have families and need to make plans to
bring them along and have things for them to do when you are at the meet.

Sincerely,

Roger Kujawa

Tks Bob.  Where BRHS falls short if membership retention & attraction.
EVERY officer needs to get involved and frankly, membership should be THE
topic of every Business mtg.  ALL things stem from mbrship: money,
volunteers, donations of memorabilia.  Mbrship is the lifeblood of any
group, esp. one with a VERY aging membership.  I was college kid when I
founded CB&Q H.S. nee BRHS - am now 61!  Overton, Corbin, Masterson, etc are
all long gone not to mention the vast majority of former Q emp's.  Al Holck
is 80, Bill Glick's health is marginal, etc.  We need to act now to get all
the mbrs we can & somehow attract young guys/gals looking for a 'fallen
flag' to become THEIR interest.  Hard job but if we don't try, we die.
Several rail groups have "passed away" and frankly are are but a few yrs
away from doing so as well as a lot of mbrs will die (or become too senile
to keep a mbrship; I AM blunt!) in the next 10 yrs.  With such a thin group
of active mbrs what happens when Dave &/or Hol suddenly croak or 'retire'?

However I remain the optimist, we have a heckuva of a "product" to sell IF
we promote!

We do very poor @ "marketing" BRHS with far too many mbrs solely being dues
payers.  Any group (per sociological studies) will only have a small %
active, whether a church, service club, etc but our % is far less than other
special interest groups.  We need to fire 'em up!  Thus there is good
potential to add mbrs & 'activate' existing ones IF we have a plan & we
activate it.

Tks again & Merry Christmas!   gerald

Gerald A. & Virginia J.  Edgar

230 W. 5th St.