RE: [CBQ] RE: exisiting BR steam locos & "10 Meets

To: <cbq@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: RE: [CBQ] RE: exisiting BR steam locos & "10 Meets
From: Gerald & Virginia Edgar <vje68@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2009 12:29:37 -0600
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1261420183; bh=nmK+MrXrhp5EURy9cLoGaCZBFwuefGWRklNVfzGMHcA=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Message-ID:To:Importance:In-Reply-To:References:X-OriginalArrivalTime:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=Iufw914eMcS/3DF+jAVMw29inKffxSj3Lk3jgsYiV+CIa7nQwzswaJhk1CVDi9u9UtDUI2cyOQ4+rFuHMiskkRzzC/J3yzHyR4TyW293HCtV2I6y1vfq40isCnzgYvBs
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Tks Bob.  Where BRHS falls short if membership retention & attraction.  EVERY
officer needs to get involved and frankly, membership should be THE topic of
every Business mtg.  ALL things stem from mbrship: money, volunteers, donations
of memorabilia.  Mbrship is the lifeblood of any group, esp. one with a VERY
aging membership.  I was college kid when I founded CB&Q H.S. nee BRHS - am now
61!  Overton, Corbin, Masterson, etc are all long gone not to mention the vast
majority of former Q emp's.  Al Holck is 80, Bill Glick's health is marginal,
etc.  We need to act now to get all the mbrs we can & somehow attract young
guys/gals looking for a 'fallen flag' to become THEIR interest.  Hard job but
if we don't try, we die.  Several rail groups have "passed away" and frankly
are are but a few yrs away from doing so as well as a lot of mbrs will die (or
become too senile to keep a mbrship; I AM blunt!) in the next 10 yrs.  With
such a thin group of active mbrs what happens when Dave &/or Hol suddenly croak
or 'retire'?

However I remain the optimist, we have a heckuva of a "product" to sell IF we
promote!

We do very poor @ "marketing" BRHS with far too many mbrs solely being dues
payers.  Any group (per sociological studies) will only have a small % active,
whether a church, service club, etc but our % is far less than other special
interest groups.  We need to fire 'em up!  Thus there is good potential to add
mbrs & 'activate' existing ones IF we have a plan & we activate it.

Tks again & Merry Christmas!   gerald

Gerald A. & Virginia J.  Edgar

230 W. 5th St.
Garner, IA 50438-1404