RE: [CBQ] RE: exisiting BR steam locos & "10 Meets

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [CBQ] RE: exisiting BR steam locos & "10 Meets
From: Robert McNay <CptMatt@ameritech.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2009 11:19:49 -0800 (PST)
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1261425206; bh=ac4bEStIFM6J9zAxV09qWdvrGG4ERaWQ0ChMWpj7Ay0=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:Received:Received:Received:DKIM-Signature:Received:Received:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Message-ID:X-YMail-OSG:X-Received:X-Mailer:To:In-Reply-To:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:X-eGroups-Approved-By:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=K04DoyfdZhPjEazB+y+4jh3Ym7PfGXNFf8s7v7VIk8zncox2AarAEPBRAsmIBW/i8VSQZqwOmYK+ONYmrYuEr6F20+7eH0RYqt520ibnXA67K2J9lT+4XavqJKOxlUhS
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1261425191; bh=yEvumV+fwJUtKG404n5yhzWfRQxXt3b9hsk4fCjNvLQ=; h=Received:Received:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Message-ID:X-YMail-OSG:X-Received:X-Mailer:Date:To:In-Reply-To:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:Subject:X-Yahoo-Group-Post:X-Yahoo-Profile:X-YGroups-SubInfo:Sender:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:X-eGroups-Approved-By:X-eGroups-Auth; b=qLsKEdyh4ykgPZ1c34daEV/54glaWlW8VEV5chfroVEc9GCfEuo8yBcNCxHB8V5SnMFkAjFsRzY8BltxHGjG1dJsNKUUi2gI6vCToHOZ/vAxXBw5yPITdub9Exe1l/4k
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
I"ve always thought the best way to get younger members is to make a club more
relevant to them.

I'm probably part of the last generation that sees groups like the BRHS
relevant because of a direct experience, riding the CB&Q from Chicago to Quincy
as a kid in the late 1960's. For most people younger than me, its old history.
And, unless they are into history, it means nothing to them.

So, how to make it relevant to younger people? Get involved in the present day.
Maybe rail groups should make themselves heard and felt on matters like
Amtrak's continued existence, and initiatives like Midwest High Speed Rail
Corridor. If they can get people enthused over these things it would spill over
into the history part, because there will always be a segment that want's see
what led to it.

Without making ourselves relevant, we will become just a bunch old folks pining
over the past.

Rob McNay