[CBQ] Re: flood damage & Minerville auction

To: <cbq@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [CBQ] Re: flood damage & Minerville auction
From: Gerald & Virginia Edgar <vje68@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 09:14:48 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
One the waters have fully receded and reports can be made, it will be
interesting to see how old Q structures & rolling stock fared.  Anything in
Dubuque will be fine as after the big flood of 1965* a flood wall was installed
protecting among other things the Frt Housee & CB&N depot - now all part of the
Nat. River Museum (& spotlighted @ the Annual Meet in Dbq 2 yrs ago)

*  1965 was last time Q & IC used steam locos to transfer freights thru low
lying yards along the Mississippi; Q in Savannah & IC a bit further south.  The
clearance over rails for diesel traction motors is measured in inches; for
fireboxes it's in feet.  One small advantage of steam!  (and the last revenue
steam moves on the Q)

On a personal note, I joined my fellow vicitms of the Iowa flooding as I lost
some Q memorabilia (and old Model Railroaders, Railfans, etc) to a flooded
basment last week.  We have a full size basement & in 18 yrs we only had ever
had a bit of water in one low area (and nothing was kept there).  All stored
objects were either on shelves or above large rubber totes (think
'Rubbermaid').  However I took Chemistry in H.S. for my science, not Physics
and so I forgot a basic law - buoyancy.  We had 6-8" of water thruout the bsmt.
 Since we use large pcs of lineoleun on a concrete floor and no drywall, that
we not a problem for us.  A little pumping & no more water.  But in the interim
some of the 'totes' despite having heavy cartons atop them, floated & of course
became unstabe 'dumping' the cartons atop them.  Disaster!

So in addition to the usual suggestions I've given to others on how to safely
store & preserve CB&Q memorabilia, whether plastic models, old timetables,
lanterns or photos, keep in mind that sealed plastic totes float!

For some inexplicable reason, a couple of my Burlington Bulletins & Zephyrs
were in the basement rather than the library (left in cartons from giving talks
or doing research?) so they were lost but hopefully are "in-print" ones!

Minerville auction last Mon/Tues - anyone on list attend that give a report?
Esp. where did the waycar & gas electric go?  Tks!

Gerald