Re: [CBQ] Typical speed on the East End

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Typical speed on the East End
From: <sholding@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2007 23:47:24 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
One quiet Sunday evening I was working the East End(Aurora to Chicago) CTC job
when it was still in Cicero House 9.  I ran the westbounds on 1 and the
Eastbounds on 3 leaving the middle track wide open.  I had a huge tie gang that
wanted to move from Cicero to Aurora so I gave the foreman Track and  Time(the
authority to use a CTC track section with out signals.)  from La Vergne to
Eola.  (before x overs at Naperville and Lisle) and the gang started west.  At
Eola a different foreman came to the phone to copy a new T&T to get thru the
yard on the mains at Eola.  About this time I had train No. 85 heading west and
he called me on the radio and said I had a  track machine headed EAST on main 2
going thru Downers Grove.  But wait a minute the gang was going by the Eola
Yard Office(when it use to be in the East Yard about half way between McClure
Rd and the Wagon Bridge.).  The foreman never called me and said what the
problem was but it seems one of the machine operators wanted to go back to the
party he had been at the nite before and now west.  SO he just flipped his
machine in reverse and headed back for Chicago.  The original foreman even
headed back chasing him but never called me.  We finally got the machine
stopped right outside the office in House 9 on the middle main by a set of
engines coming back from Union Ave from delivering an IC coal train(going to
the Plaines Plant in Joliet before we started run thru power)  The foreman,
Trainmaster and Special Agent were all there to meet the machine operator and
hauled him off to the Cicero Jail where he was served with his dismissal papers.
Oh the joys of working the East End
SJH