Re: [CBQ] Re: texas zephyr

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Re: texas zephyr
From: "Stephen J. Levine" <sjl@prodigy.net>
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2006 16:52:01 -0800 (PST)
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
T'would be a very nice gesture for the Saudi's to donate their trains to a
museum here.

Hubert Hanrahan <domelinerdude@yahoo.com> wrote:          I agree Stephen!

I thought I read the trains in Saudia Arabia are in storage there,
what a great gesture it would be for the Government of Saudi Arabia
(or the whomever the owner is) to donate them to a US Rail Museum.

As you say, that makes the 3 cars in the USA that more valuable for
preservation.

Hubert

--- In CBQ@yahoogroups.com, "Stephen J. Levine" <sjl@...> wrote:

> I was devastated when those trains were sold to Saudi Arabia.
>
> That is why it is so important to get those cars from South
Dakota.

> Hubert Hanrahan <domelinerdude@...> wrote:
> Stephen;
>
> I was very interested in hearing how it all came about the trains
> ending up on Kansas City Terminal property.
>
> When I went to work at Kansas City Union Station in the early
> seventies I became friends with 2 elderly gentlemen who were
> refurbishing and re-upholstering the former DZ train set for Mr.
> Barkett.
>
> One day I took a photograph of them working on one of the cars and
> one of the men asked for a copy of the picture. After some
> discussion he offered me a pair of the enamel signs from the
> vestibue steps from one of the cars in exchange for an enlargment
of
> the photograph.
>
> Today I still have the two signs "Watch Your Step" and "Burlington
> Route" from one of the vestibules of the original DZ.
>
> I felt it was a loss for our railroad heritage to see the trains
go
> to Saudi Arabia.
>
> Hubert
>
> --- In CBQ@yahoogroups.com, "Stephen J. Levine" <sjl@> wrote:
> >
> > Hubert
> >
> > Thanks for the correction on Mr. Barkett's name.
> >
> > I was doing the post from memories, including personal
> observations, and I always have difficulty remembering the
> gentleman's name. The information as to how he came to own his DZ
> consist came from an article I read soon after the purchase of the
> consist. I remember the approximate date because I saw the three
> cars under the Valley Highway that he saw. It was in the spring of
> 1969 when I returned for a few days from the University of
Colorado,
> where I was a sophomore, to my parents home in Denver to recover
> from a bad cold.
> >
> > sjl
> >

> > Hubert Hanrahan <domelinerdude@> wrote:
> > Hi Stephen;
> >
> > Just a minor correction, that was Mr. Alex Barkett of Kansas City
> > that bought the pre-war Zephyrs and sold them to Saudi Arabia.
> >
> > As a side note, he later bought from Amtrak: Silver Castle,
Siver